Special Needs Planning


If you have a loved one who is disabled and, as a result, is receiving governmental benefits (Medicare, Medicaid, SSD, SSI, HUD, etc.), then that person is a candidate for special needs planning. This type of plan will allow your beneficiary to receive an inheritance and maintain their benefits. It also allows the use of the inheritance for their needs, so long as it is not for certain items such as food or shelter.

The Third-Party Supplemental Needs Trust (SNT)

A third-party Supplemental Needs Trust is one created by someone other than the disabled person and in which third-party funds are transferred. In this type of trust, the disabled beneficiary cannot add his or her own money at any time.

The trust is used to supplement the public benefits that the disabled person is receiving. These funds are not “available resources” for Medicaid eligibility purposes. They can be used for almost any purposes except shelter and food and no cash can be given to the disabled beneficiary.

At the death of the disabled beneficiary, the assets will pass according to the wishes of the creator of the trust.

The First-Party Supplemental Needs Trust (SNT)

This trust may be created by a parent or grandparent of the disabled person or the disabled person themselves and must be created and funded before age 65. This trust is funded with the disabled person’s own funds, either income, inheritance or proceeds from a personal injury action.

This trust must name the local Department of Social Services (“DSS”) or the State as the primary beneficiary at the death of the disabled person. Any large expenses from this trust must be approved by DSS first.

It is always a good idea to seek approval from DSS before finalizing and funding an SNT.

Make sure you take the time to learn how your loved one can benefit with proper long term planning.

For more information about Special Needs planning, call us today.

(315) 624-9600

Material presented on the Hilton Estate & Elder Law, LLC website is intended for information only. It is not intended as professional advice and should not be construed as such.

The material presented on this site is included with the understanding and agreement that Hilton Estate & Elder Law, LLC is not engaged in rendering legal or other professional services by posting said material.

The services of a competent professional should be sought if legal or other expert assistance is required.

Any unauthorized use of material contained herein is at the user’s own risk. Transmission of the information and material herein is not intended to create, and receipt does not constitute, an agreement to create an attorney-client relationship with Hilton Estate & Elder Law, LLC or any member thereof.

This website is not intended to be advertising and Hilton Estate & Elder Law, LLC does not wish anyone desiring representation based upon viewing this website in any state or jurisdiction where this website fails to comply with all laws and ethical rules.

This website is not intended to constitute legal advice or the provision of legal services. By posting and/or maintaining this website and its contents, Hilton Estate & Elder Law, LLC does not intend to solicit legal business from clients located in states or jurisdictions where Hilton Estate & Elder Law, LLC or its individual attorneys are not licensed or authorized to practice law.

Some links within this website may lead to other sites. Hilton Estate & Elder Law, LLC does not necessarily sponsor, endorse or otherwise approve of the materials appearing in such sites.